3 Jul, 2014
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
Selamat Berpuasa to all our Muslim friends.
Promotional efforts for 25th FAPA Congress 2014 have stepped up. Members of the Organizing Committee are working on the overdrive to bring in participants. The Promotional trail has included countries such as Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, Taiwan, the Philippines and Indonesia. The next stop will be Hong Kong, followed by India and finally the Federation of International Pharmaceutical Association’s (FIP’s) Congress in Thailand.
All the various meeting and visits have yielded result in that the registration for the Congress has been quite encouraging, thanks to the efforts of everyone. The Pharmaceutical Services Division in the Ministry of Health headed by its Senior Director YBhg Dato’ Eisah Rahman who is also the Honorary Advisor to the Organizing Committee has encouraged her team members to participate. As hosts, Malaysian pharmacists have graciously come forward to share in the organizing of this major International event. Many of them have qualified for the first 100 registrations and they shall receive a collector’s item as a token of appreciation.
Top-notched speakers have been invited to present papers. The Minister of Health YB Dato’ Sri S. Subramaniam has consented to grace the Opening Ceremony as Guest-of-Honor. Leading Pharmaceutical Companies are participating in the exhibition and educational institutions will showcase their pharmacy education programme in the exhibition as well. There are still slots for oral presentations and poster exhibitions and we welcome you to send in your abstracts to the online abstract site for evaluation.
In order to encourage pharmacy students to participate, the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Council has decided to offer each Pharmacy Educational Institutions 5 scholarships for final year and post-graduate students at RM300.00 each for the registration fees to be rebated at the end of the Congress. The scholarships offered will be on a first-come-first-served basis till 31st July 2014. Please submit maximum 5 names enbloc from each Pharmacy Educational Institutions. Please register and pay first before rebate. Some Universities like Josai International University in Japan is requesting a special session for student pharmacists to interact. Hence, we would encourage Heads of Schools of Pharmacy to submit 5 names as soon as possible to expose student pharmacists to the International and National Pharmaceutical scene.
Besides, the Scientific Meetings, there is a lot to look forward to for during the social events. Moreover, Hospitality Room will be set up at the Congress Hotel for participants to network and interact.
We are expecting 1200 participants from 18 member Countries and the Hotel Rooms are fast taken up. Besides being given “food for thought”, we anticipate that there will be plenty of good food for the stomachs! A special “Mount Kinabalu Climb” is held for those who are keen on outdoor life. This invigorating climb will prove that you can do it at any age. So hurry, and register to avoid disappointment.
Recently on June 27 the Star newspaper has featured a letter by Dr Sng Kim Hock from the Association of Specialists in Private Medical Practice entitled “Docs Right to dispense medicine”. A brilliant letter from Gan Ber Zin was printed on July 1st entitled “Allow Pharmacists to do their job”. We are proud that the newspaper was able to print the response quickly to put the picture right. In other local papers, too the topic of dispensing by pharmacists was also highlighted. A feature article covered statement by me as well as Dr Krishna Kumar from the Malaysian Medical Association and an unidentified contributor from the Ministry of Health was printed. It highlighted the separation to aim to take effect on 1 April 2015. On July 2nd the paper printed a well written respond from Dr Azmi as well. Thank you for making us proud.
Dear Members, the future lies to us. Let us together create a transformed pharmacy programme for a healthier Nation.
Thank you for making us proud.
Yours in MPS
(Datuk Nancy Ho)
Courtesy Call to the Minister of Tourism at the Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad on 30th June 2014
CPD FOR RENEWAL OF ANNUAL RETENTION
There are still anxiety being expressed by pharmacists over CPD activities and collection of CPD points for renewal of annual retention.
For those who are already taking up CPD activities, they will most probably find that it is not really something that is not achievable and in fact many find it enjoyable. The CPD activities have become part of their routine professional activities. It does not matter now to them whether CPD is compulsory or not as they just want to take part. There are so many ways to accumulate the points and they need not be all must be related to healthcare or to medicines. Just for e.g. self-development activities in terms of attending computer classes are also awarded CPD points.
For the renewal of Annual Retention, the latest decision by Pharmacy Board of Malaysia is summarised as follows:
- All registered pharmacists are required to apply and pay online for renewal of annual certificate through www.bless.gov.my
- For renewal of 2015 annual certificate, registered pharmacists must have CPD points even though less than 30 points.
- Exemption to CPD points is applicable to non-practising pharmacists (housewives, pensioners, pharmacists practising overseas)
- The requirement of 30 CPD points shall be fully implemented after the New Pharmacy Law is implemented.
Do visit the website at the FAQ section to read more;-
FAPA CONGRESS 2014
The latest registration for the Congress shows that Malaysia, being the host country is leading in the registration, followed by Taiwan and Thailand.
But behind the scene, the Secretariat has received group registrations numbers from the FAPA Countries and just awaiting actual names before the adding them to confirm the registration numbers
Those who intend to go are reminded to decide quickly and sign up and most important of all is to book your accommodation and flight. Sabah is a much preferred tourist destination and from the Ministry of Tourism statistics, the number of available rooms are not even enough to cater for tourists’ arrival and that is not including the expected FAPA participants. Hotel bookings information is available online.
In the program also are allocated schedule for Oral Presentations of original research. Do submit your abstracts online at the website for consideration for presentation either orally or as poster.
- Operation Pharmacist & Community Pharmacist/ Klang Valley/ Constant Pharmacy/ Mr Loh – [email protected]
- Retail Pharmacist/ Farmasi Goodmedic/ Mr. Siah: 03-91333395, 012-3388152
- Retail Pharmacist/ Watson’s Personal Care Stores Sdn Bhd/ HR Department: 03-21432386/ [email protected]
- Pharmacists and Locum Pharmacist / Klang Valley/ Be Pharmacy/ Mr Lee: 013-3526551/ [email protected]
- Pharmacists and Locum Pharmacist/ Klang Valley/ Ms Lee: 012-3726299/ [email protected]
- Pharmacist/ Batu Pahat/ Putra Specialist Hospital/ Puan Hjh Rosnah Binti Rushdi: 07-4333333
- Retail Pharmacist/ Kuala Lumpur/ Pusrawi International College of Medical Sciences/ Human Resource Department: 03- 6186 9506/ [email protected]
- Part Time / Registered Pharmacist (Locum)/ Kuala Lumpur Sports Medical Centre Sdn Bhd/ Human Resource Department: 03-2096 1033/ [email protected]
- Pharmacist/ Klang/ Arunamari Specialist Medical Centre/ Human Resource Department: 03-3324 3288/ [email protected]
- HEAD OF CPD/Puchong / Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society/ [email protected]
- Production Pharmacist and R&D Pharmacist/ Terengganu/ Xorix Sdn Bhd/ [email protected]
- Retail Pharmacists/ Bangi, KLIA2, Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi/ Kell: 013-3333673, Firdaus: 013-3333663/ [email protected]
- Assistant or Associate Professor/ School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham/ Pn Salma Abd Kadir: 03-89248201/ [email protected]
- Pharmacist/ Penang/ Penang Adventist Hospital/ [email protected]
- Retail Pharmacist/ Johor Bahru, Johor/ IJ Pharmacy (M) Sdn Bhd/ Ms Chang: 07-3552878
- Retail Pharmacist/ Klang, Petaling Jaya & Shah Alam/ Mr Vinaybalaji: 014-2273072/[email protected]